History of the Freetown Fire Department

Aliqua non cillum aute ut aliqua sit nostrud

aliquip ea. Magna consequat eu ad aliqua pariatur dolore, incididunt nulla mollit, anim ea dolor dolor in. Officia qui, enim culpa qui cupidatat id.
History of the FFD History of the FFD 1990 - 2000 1990 - 2000 Page 5: 2000 - Present Page 5: 2000 - Present
In 1990, a 1959 Maxim 75 foot aerial ladder and a 1973 Maxim 1000 GPM Foam Engine were placed in service at Station 2. The Foam Engine was purchased from ComEnergy for one dollar. Also in this year the fire department’s full time staff was reduced to four firefighters and the Chief.
In 1991, although not a popular decision, the Town began charging for the ambulance service. In 1992 Pre-Hospital defibrillation found its way to the front lines of emergency medical care. Members donated time to raise money for two semi-automatic defibrillators. In 1994 the department took delivery of a new KME/International 120 GPM pumper. This unit was placed in service at Station 1 and dedicated to Fireman Perley Wotton who was killed in the line of duty in 1941. A new 1994 Ford Class 1 ambulance was placed in service at Station 2. The Chevy ambulance and 1967 Ford pumper were removed from service. In 1995, the Freetown Fire Deparartment began paramedic service. Paramedic firefighters have become an essential part of the department’s ever-expanding mission. In November of this year voters approved funding to hire an additional firefighter to bring staffing levels back up to pre-1990s levels of six full-time firefighters.
In 1997, the department took delivery of a new KME/International 1250 GPM Pumper. This unit was placed in service at Station 2. In 1999, a 1976 surplus military “Deuce and a Half” was converted into a Brush breaker and placed in service at Station 2. The Jeep forestry unit was relocated to Station 1 and the 1964 Maxim was disposed of. Some of the more memorable fires of the 1990s included a large Warehouse Fire on Middleboro Road, a 100 plus acre brush fire off of Route 24 in the State Forest, and the Monsour’s Restaurant Fire on 4/17/1999. A large brush fire off of Chace Road required mutual aid from as far away as Wellfleet. The stubborn blaze would keep fire units on scene for most of the summer. Finally, there was a 30,000 gallon propane tank leak in Assonet which kept firefighters on scene for most of the night.
The end of the 1990s brought hope and optimism for the members of the department with the completion of the new central fire headquarters station on Bullock Road near the elementary school. This optimism would be tempered with the deaths of six firefighters in Worcester, MA. Freetown Firefighters would show their support for their fallen comrades by attending Funerals and Memorial Services in the closing weeks of December. 
Home From the Chief Our History Stations/Apparatus Members FAQs Upcoming Events Memorial Page Links Contact Us Our History