History of the Freetown Fire Department

Aliqua non cillum aute ut aliqua sit nostrud

aliquip ea. Magna consequat eu ad aliqua pariatur dolore, incididunt nulla mollit, anim ea dolor dolor in. Officia qui, enim culpa qui cupidatat id.
History of the FFD History of the FFD 1950 - 1980 1950 - 1980
 1951 saw the beginnings of concern for firefighter safety with the purchase of two Scott Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus. These early models were primitive and not favored by most firemen. More “Air Paks” woud be purchased and technology would advance over time to equip every fire unit with the required number of four SCBAs.
On November 26, 1956 a new Ford pumper equipped with a 600 GPM pump was placed in service at Station 2. In July of 1957 a spectacular blaze occured at the Woolen Mill locaed on Chace Road. Firefighters were frustrated in putting out the fire due to lack of water in the area. On November 13, 1957 a used tank trailer was received. After repairs were made to make the trailer serviceable for the fire department, this unit was placed in service in 1958. The water trailer eventually would be housed in the “old town barn” in 1959. Local businesses would provide a tractor and a driver to pull the water trailer to fires. In 1958 the East Freetown Firefighters Association raised money to purchase and equip an ambulance and presented it to the town. The ambulance, a Cadillac, was placed in service at Station 2. Ambulance service began in Freetown.
The 1960s was a busy decade for the Fire Department. First was the addition of a new rescue truck placed in service at Sation 1 on July 18, 1960. In 1964 the ambulance at Station 2 was replaced with the 1958 Cadillac. In 1965 the town purchases “Insta Alert” home receivers for all firefighters. These receivers, as the pagers and station tone alert system are today, were tested nightly at 1830 hours. On August 2 the Communications Center was officially placed in operation at the Town Hall. On February 14, 1968 a new Ford pumper equipped with a 750 GPM pump is placed in service at Station 1. The 1945 Buffalo was traded in as part of the purchase price. Also in ‘68 the East Freetown Firefighters Association requested the Board of Selectmen to place an article on the town warrant to have displayed numbers on houses, businesses, and building lots. By 1969 the need for a permanent place to house the Fire Department equipment in East Freetown led to Station 2 being purchased for a sum on $22,000. Also in ‘69, the Board of Fire Engineers voted to drop the age for membership to the department from 21 years to 18 years old. Finally, in April 1969, the Board of Fire Engineers voted to purchase a 1950 Ford fire truck from the Farrar company and turned the 1933 Chevrolet over to the selectmen to be disposed of. In 1970 the Board of Fire Engineers purchased a new ambulance, an Oldsmobile, for $14,500.00. In 1972 Freetown Firefighters were trained in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation by the National Heart Association. The town purchases an ice rescue sled boat for the Fire Deparmtne. The East Freetown Firefighters Association bought a trailer and motor for the board. The old hand tub engine was moved to the Historical Society Building. This year also saw the introduction of portable radios into the fire department. 1973 was a historic year with the appointment of the first three full time firefighters and the delivery of a new pumper, a Ford L-900 750 GPM, which was placed in service at Station 2. 1974 saw the acquisition of a 13 foot Boston Whaler Rescue Boat for Station 2. In 1975 the Board of Fire Engineers purchases new Poly-Carbonate fire helmets for all members replacing the old aluminum fire helmets. The first of many members complete Emergency Medical Technician Training.
Page 3: 1980 - 1990 Page 3: 1980 - 1990
By 1976 emergency medical responses became the bulk of work for the fire department and all members received First Responder Training. Also in this year the Board of Fire Engineers voted to adopt a new work schedule for full time members. It consisted of six days on duty, followed with three days off duty. This schedule would become a mainstay of the fire department for the next twenty four years. The Board at this time also established requirements for the department work uniform. The uniform would consist of navy blue pants and light blue shirts for privates. Offciers were given the option of wearing a white or light blue shirt when reporting for duty. In 1977 the Fire Department was sadded by the loss of Chief Adelino Souza due to illness. The Fire Department received its first Class 1 modular ambulance, a Chevrolet, and dedicated it to Chief Souza.
In 1978 the Fire Department was kept busy with the arrival of the great blizzard. Members were recalled to man stations during the tenure of the storm. The Fire Department assisted the Highway Department in stopping the Forge Pond Dam from overflowing and flooding the Assonet Village. Also in May of this year, the Communications Center was moved from the Town Hall to the Police Station, where it resides today. In 1979 the Fire and Police Departments joined forces with the Lions Club to raise money to purchase the Jaws of Life. Also in 1979, the Fire Department spent eight days battling a major tire fire off of Braley Road in East Freetown from March 17-26. Many departments from Southeastern MA were called to assist. Other notable blazes of the 70’s were the Beech Bluff Lounge on Middleboro Road, the wood shavings fire off of Chace Road and a gasoline tanker truck fire on Route 24. In December of 1979 the first full time Fire Chief was appointed. The Board of Fire Engineers ceased to exist.
Home From the Chief Our History Stations/Apparatus Members FAQs Upcoming Events Memorial Page Links Contact Us Our History